Sunday, January 12, 2014

The fool's sky


The blue made me think of onion sets. It's almost time, and this 'round I'll probably return to Southern States, where they dollop out jokes along with the tiny bulbs.

It's a bit of a riddle as to why the sky invited the sun out today, as we've seen nothing but darkness and dank for a week. The January soil hasn't decided yet whether to thaw (don't!) in the 50 degrees (F) of this Sunday afternoon.  But light snow is forecast again in a few more evenings, and the horse asked if she could keep her blanket 'till March. Probably.

But I'm dreaming of onion sets today, yellows and reds, and also the spring greens that I'll set in the dark and pungent soil of the low garden in six weeks. 

We've been eating stews of thick sauce in a red pie pan, and aromatic soft breads with real butter. But on this sunny surprise of a day, it's the crunch tender and raw that I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment